Lars Møller is back to Petrojazz
The famous Danish saxophone player, composer and conductor returns to St. Petersburg to perform again on the stage of the international jazz festival.
In 2015 Lars Møller as artistic director of Aarhus Jazz Orchestra (from 2012 to 2015) participated in the Petrojazz together with the Danish big band, presenting his work “ReWrite of Spring.”
This year Lars Møller as a soloist gives a concert together with one of the brightest ensembles of the St. Petersburg jazz scene, Breadberries, headed by Denis Kirillov. They perform on 28 July from 20:45 to 22:00 at the Ostrovskogo Square. Free entrance.
On 29 July, the festival’s closing day, Lars Møller plays with the Jazz Philharmonic Orchestra, led by Kyril Bubyakin, who in 2009 gathered the city’s best young jazz musicians to create a professional big band. The public attending this concert at the Jazz Philharmonic Hall will be treated to a real saxophone battle, Russia vs. Denmark (tickets).
The Danish saxophone player, composer and conductor Lars Møller (b. 1966) http://www.larsmoller.com is a leading Scandinavian jazz figure. After living in New York 1987-89, playing with a number of legendary jazz musicians, Lars Møller spend several prolonged periods in New Delhi in the early 90´s assimilating the highly emotional Indian classical music. As a composer he delicately combines his knowledge of the American jazz tradition with the melodic Nordic tradition and a very broad awareness of European classical music. He is a truly contemporary jazz composer and musician, who easily includes electronica, choir and world influences in his music. The result is a unique lyrical and forceful personal expression. As artistic director of Aarhus Jazz Orchestra from 2012 to 2015, he successfully developed this professional big band (supported by the Danish Arts Council) in to a creative voice of the 21st century – most notably on the “ReWrite of Spring” CD feat, David Liebman and Marilyn Mazur.
Saxophonist: He has played/recorded with Jimmy Cobb Group, Hermeto Pascoal, Jon Balke, Bobo Stensson, Anders Jormin, Martial Solal, Maria Schneider, Jim McNeely, Tom Harrel, Toots Thielmans, Katrine Madsen, Kasper Villaume Quartet, Sound of Choice Ensemble, The Danish Saxophone Quartet (“classical”) 2005-9 and various other Danish artists. He has performed regularly as a solo-player with The Danish Radio Big Band since 2002. He has also worked as a composer and soloist with leading Danish and European orchestras including European Broadcasting Union Big Band, Copenhagen Philharmonic Orchestra and Athelas Sinfonietta, Copenhagen.
Composer and conductor: He has worked with EBU Big Band, Danish Radio Big Band, The Slovenian Radio Big Band and Choir, The Croatian Radio Big Band, Cologne Contemporary Jazz Orchestra and various Scandinavian Big Bands, Orchestras and Choirs. Performances in Europe, USA, China and Brazil. Artistic director of The Orchestra (Copenhagen) from 1997 to 2011.
Lars Møller quartet: In 2008 Lars Møller formed a Danish/German quartet with Thor Madsen (guitar), Robert Landfermann (bass) and Jonas Burgwinkel (drums). Previously he has released 9 CD’s in his own name with Geri Allen, Buster Williams, Billy Hart, NHØP, Jimmy Cobb, John Abercrombie and others. He has performed with his bands in Europe, China, New Zealand, Australia, Hong Kong and at the Blue Note in New York.
Lars Møller Big Band CD’s:
– “ReWrite of Spring” w. Aarhus Jazz Orchestra feat David Liebman and Marily Mazur, DaCapo 2015.
– “Episodes” w The Orchestra, Calibrated Records 2011.
– European Youth Jazzorchestra /EBU Big Band 2008/9.
– Brasilian Scandinavian Jazz Orchestra w Magno Bissoli and The Orchestra. Axis 2007.
– DR Big Band and Jomi Massage: Skandinaviske klagesange”. Playground 2006.
– The Orchestra: “Beats and Big Band” Cope/Calibrated 2003.
– The Orchestra: “New Skies” DaCapo 2001.
– The Orchestra: “Noxx” DaCapo 1998
– The Orchestra: “Smoke Out” db 1996
Lars Møller “smallgroup” CD’s:
– “Phobia” Stunt 2010 w. Thor Madsen, Robert Landfermann and Jonas Burgwinkel.
– “Jazzpar concerts” Stunt 2004. w Geri Allen, Buster Williams and Billy Hart.
– “Centrifugal” Stunt Records 2001. STUCD 01142
– “Kaleidoscope” NAXOS/JAZZ (86022-2) – Grammy Award 2000 (DK), best Jazz-CD.
– “Colours”, Stunt Records 1997. STUCD 19711 with John Abercrombie.
– “Circles” Stunt Records 1996. STUCD 19611
– “Cross Current” Stunt Records 1995. STUCD 19504 grammy-nominated.
– “Pyramid” Stunt Records 1993, Grammy-nominate. STUCD 19302 with Billy Hart.
– “Copenhagen Groove” Stunt Records 1989. STUCD 18902 with N.H.Ø.P. and Jimmy Cobb.
– Special award from the Danish Arts Counsil for the CD “Episodes” 2011.
– 1 Prize for best Big Band Composition. International Jazz Composers’ Symposium in 2008.
– 3-year work grant from “The Danish Arts Counsil” 2006.
– Jazzpar bandleader 2003 w Geri Allen, Buster Williams and Billy Hart.
– The Danish Grammy for best CD 2000 (Kaleidoscope – NaxosJazz).
– The JASA award 2000 (critics and journalists).
– The honorary prize from The Danish Jazz, Beat and Folk Composers Society in 1998.
– BFA in jazz from New School 1987-89, New York – apprentice of David Liebmann 85-90.
– Indian classical music (New Delhi 1989-93). Several prolonged periods, studying the “Shenei”.
– Composers Workshop with Bob Brookmeyer, Copenhagen 1996-98
– Conducting 2002- with Frans Rasmussen, Morten Schuldt Jensen.
– Counterpoint etc. from 2005-06.